Kees van der Westen Mirage Triplette Save 1/2 on this used espresso machine at a great discount during the holidays. The Mirage is a […]
I was attracted to this lever because of it’s rarity and beautiful CMA group which I had seen used on other machines such as Kees van der Westen. I love the extravagant used of space on this machine to claim its presence.
I’m a huge fan of lever machines and I had pursued the seller and claimed this beauty after a friends wedding ceremony and in between the evening party! I have had some really interesting journeys finding machines and meeting the people who are as interesting or more so. This is just one of the pleasures of being involved in the industry.
Finally the time has come and the project has been completed. Working on an older machine has been challenging at times due to the caged boiler design but with perseverance and support from the LM Seattle I was able to complete the machine as I had intended. The final product with tasteful additions really brought this old beauty to modern day standards. The Linea is known as the workhorse and now the most recognized machine among coffee enthusiasts
The project took a bit of seat on the back burner for month but such is life .. I’m really stocked with how the frame and panels turned out after fully stripping the old powder coat, sand blasting all pieces and finally sending it out for powder coating. The guy’s down at Surrey Powder Coating did an excellent job.
In part 3 I’ll decide how far I would take the build, whether I would start from scratch or if there were pieces I could still use. As can be seen in the 1st pic someone was quite thrifty and replaced the catch pan for the group 3 way valve with a 1110 electrical box. On the bright side they did good by choosing aluminum! Next, I needed to Tig weld the hole next to the steam/brew gauge which was a key lock for entering programming mode. I opted to Tig the hole shut as all the panels would be powder coated. Not shown in pictures but I will have to relocate the PID which is mounted on the top left side of the steam knob.
In the next part I will remove all the powder coating and send it off to have it sand blasted . . .
The first step in this build is a much needed cleaning as this olden goldie had been given up on years and years ago. That’s okay because I would give this machine the respect it deserved. As I had already planned on a complete tear down I decided to remove all the electronics and hydraulic lines before doing this.
I used a combination of steam and degreaser to remove the grime.
Welcome to this build project. I acquired this machine just outside of Portland Oregon in Hood River , which made it a great excuse to turn it into a weekend in Portland.
The machine was fully functional when I hooked it up for the first time minus a small leak on one of the flow meters. Aside from that, it was in desperate need of a thorough cleaning.